Thursday, September 01, 2005

Time to dig deep...

September 11 is a day that will forever live in infamy in the American mind. Let's make September 1 be a day of beauty, giving, and help.

A hurricane has devastated a city of five hundred thousand people. In response, the world has responded with support, well wishes, and relief effort. If the world can help us, surely we can help ourselves. It's time to dig deep my friends.

There are many outlets to donate money to help in this endeavor. Dig deep my friends, If you wish to donate money to the cause, the Red Cross has created a special website dedicated to the relief effort here.

In the spirit of many other bloggers (hat tip: Dolphin), I will donate a dollar per commenter that has also donated up to $50.00 (that's all I can afford after my initial donation). If you've donated money, please post a comment, and I will add a dollar to my next donation. If I've already surpassed my stated maximum, please post anyway for solidarity to others.

Please people - donate anything...anything at all. Time, food, clothing, blankets, bottled water, money, and batteries are good starting points. Diapers, baby wipes, baby bottles, bottle liners, baby food, air mattresses, children's books, books for adults, waterproof ziplock bags (large), water purification tablets, and if you're close enough, a hug and a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate would be good things as well.

If it'll help you justify the expense, here is a link to a webcam that is maintained by a hosting company that is still functional in New Orleans. It'll show you the state of the city. It'll show you the people. It'll show you the devastation and the misery. It'll show you...the collapse.

Pay up my friends. There is a cost to living in a society full of wonderful and loving people - that cost is the voluntary giving of onesself to help those who are in dire straits. There is no legal requirement that you give - there is simply an internal compass that guides us all, and we all have to look ourselves in the mirror every morning.

To those who call this God's punishment against a wicked and sinful city, society, or country...think again. He said He would not do that again; His heart has softened to us and His way is mercy and love. Rather than take this time to hate, instead take this time to love and help. I cannot help but think that Jesus would not be taking this time to point fingers; His hand would be put to use as a helping hand, rather than a harming one.

Psalms 23:
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me;
Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
Thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Also:

Luke 3:11: He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

This is the time to show your mettle America. The readers of this blog may not all be Christians, but I think the message holds true for all religions...so maybe the bearer of that message isn't terribly applicable to you, I think that the message should be.

Bartleby

4 Comments:

Blogger Boxing said...

Let's pray for those affected, and sure you got it right, donate, dig deep!

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'll be donating as soon as the week limit I put on that post is up so add another dollar to your pool.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm donating as much as I can afford right now while I'm making zero progress against my credit card: either $20 or $40. I hear if you send it to the "disaster" fund instead of the "2005 Hurricane fund," that they can then spend any excess money on other disasters.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Bartleby said...

OK - the donation is in...I went a bit above and beyond what I said I'd do, but it's all to the good. :)

Bart

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home