Thursday, September 08, 2005

Liberal Mindset

I have watched events in New Orleans unfold with an ever increasing morbid fascination. Looting, murder, rape, and other violent crimes openly took place in the streets without intervention from police officials. Governmental response was pathetic, disaster plans were not followed, secondary (governmental) intervention after the fact was slow and ineffective, and refugees remain stranded.

After all that, what is the solution proposed by liberals? More reliance on governmental intervention.

How does that work?

If an organization fails me when I need them most, I don't increase my reliance on them...I *FIRE* them! I get a new provider for my goods and services!

What is it about liberals that they always see a government solution to a problem?

My advice for people who live in flood plains, hurricane zones, hailstone alley, tornado alley, or any other place prone to natural disasters is to BUY INSURANCE! If you cannot afford insurance, I suggest you move somewhere less disaster prone! There are people that act surprised every single time their house is destroyed by the flood that happens every six to ten years. I bet they're the same people that as children touched a hot stove more than once.

I have sympathy for people caught in this situation, and I've given to the cause of trying to make things better for these people, but I have limited patience for my hard earned dollars being extorted from me (i.e. taxed) and then redirected to the rescue of people who are in trouble because they were stupid. I have even less patience for my money being spent on (adult) people who are stranded when they were ordered to evacuate, but did not do so. Don't tell me you can't afford to evacuate - I don't buy it. I've been poor, and had my town been under threat of natural disaster, we'd have called friends, relatives, or neighbors for help and gotten the hell out of Dodge.

If I have little to no sympthy for the idiots that refused to evacuate and that intentionally lived in a coastal city that is below sea level, who do I have sympathy for? Where do my sympathies lie? They lie with the kids. The kids whose parents were too stupid to evacuate. The kids whose parents were too stupid to make arrangements for some method of egress. The kids whose parents chose not to make good decisions. The kids that have to live with the crappy decisions others made. I saw a picture of a kid who was wearing rubber bands and cardboard boxes for shoes - I sat wishing there was some way his parents could be jailed for it. I heard of the seven year old that was raped and murdered in the superdome. I blame not only the rapist, but her parents. Would you like to know why?

BECAUSE SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOMEWHERE SAFE AND WARM!

So - who was at fault for most of this disaster? I'd call the government a peripheral problem. In all reality, it is the idiots who STAYED that are at fault.

Bartleby

1 Comments:

Blogger Bartleby said...

Actually, at this point, I see myself voting a pure libertarian ticket from here on out. I cannot in good conscience vote for any party responsible for the state of the nation.

Bart

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home