Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Scooter Libby and his ridiculous sentence

So I'm going over the news and notice that Scooter Libby has been sentenced to thirty months.

OK - so he's busted and will have a rough time in the near future.

The problem is that part of his sentence comes from something he wasn't charged with, wasn't a fact admitted to evidence (in fact, the prosecutor specifically fought to keep it from being brought into evidence!), and wasn't established as a criminal act!

So let me see if I understand this correctly...if I get convicted of the crime of...say...stealing cars, and they decide that I've stolen more cars than I've been proven to have stolen, they can enhance my sentence? That's illegal and wrong!

Our country is slipping.

Badly.

To this slippage I say:

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth."
-George Washington

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it."
-Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
-Abraham Lincoln

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."
-Thomas Jefferson

Something needs to be done about the garbage we've been seeing of late. My suggestion is to vote out every incumbent in every office in every election until things start working the way they should...AS A WHOLE. I don't give a crap if the incumbent 'tried' to fix things...fix them or get out.

-Bart

1 Comments:

Blogger kk said...

Maybe the most ridiculous part of this could be Bush's Pardon.I hope the Irony hasn't been lost on us that Libby was convicted on among others charges "Obstruction of justice". It seems perhaps the only "obstruction of justice" in this case has been Bush pardoning a criminal sentence mandated by a legal jury of 12 peers in a U.S court of law.
Conversely however one could also argue the real "obstruction of justice" was convicting the guy in the first place.
UHHH....My head hurts

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home